Ahead of Gameweek 21, with Harry Kane out of the picture, we have reviewed the two players who are possibly the standouts for the armband in a head to head piece: Eden Hazard and Mo Salah.
Our designer Marco has created this head 2 head infographic:
The Case For:
- The Stoke defence is decimated: Zouma is ineligible, Martins Indi and captain Shawcross are injured. Even full back Pieters has a knock which leaves a one man #Wimmerwatch defending the line.
- Hazard has been called out for his poor form recently in FPL, but the underlying stats still prove his capability. He is in form in terms of how he’s actually playing, it’s worth remembering: in those matches where he has blanked in FPL terms, he has been praised as man of the match and has had standing ovations when substituted off.
- Perhaps crucially, Chelsea have a much longer rest between games, with them next playing on 3rd January – a whole 48 hours more time to recover between Gameweeks than Liverpool’s players, which may equal less rotation in this fixture.
- He’s also a good chaser captain, remaining a differential at just 12% owned – if he smashes it, you could really rise in your mini-leagues and overall.
The Case Against:
- We all know that Hazard is a great player, but as an FPL asset questions are beginning to be asked. The Newcastle game where he scored a brace feels like a distant memory as after 5 gameweeks all he has managed is an assist in terms of attacking returns – and that was being tripped for an Alonso free kick.
- After a less than stellar recent history, can we really trust him as a captaincy option?
The Case For:
- He’s so consistent! Anyone who has been playing FPL this season cannot be playing seriously if they do not already own this guy. He has only blanked 5 of the 20 Gameweeks this season and has failed to register attacking returns only once since Gameweek 9.
- 15 goals and 7 assists is a phenomenal record in what has been a fantastic maiden season at Liverpool for the Egyptian and he has rightly deserved all the plaudits that have come his way
- With his high ownership, if you are looking for “safety in numbers” in terms of a consistent captain Salah is your man.
The Case Against:
- There is always that danger with Klopp and Liverpool that there will be rotation, especially right now. Klopp has rotated more than any other Premier League manager this season and nobody seems safe – especially with just 48 hours between Liverpool fixtures.
- Leicester perhaps is not the easiest fixture, in our podcast we talked on our about targetting teams with your captaincy picks and Leicester wasn’t one of the teams we mentioned. Although they haven’t exactly been defensively solid in recent weeks, they also haven’t been experiencing the thrashings the likes of Southampton, Swansea and the aforementioned Stoke have.
In a battle of Salah vs Hazard, based on this season’s form there can only be one winner – that is Mo Salah. His attacking returns this season have been phenomenal and week in week out he has been showing consistency which is unparalleled by any other FPL player this season.
For Nick, he is getting the armband for his FPL team this Gameweek as he’s in a good position overall and in his mini leagues.
In contrast, Tom needs to land differential captains and is probably giving Hazard one last chance – the season’s form does favour Salah, but we have seem that Hazard is a good enough player to smash it in any circumstance… he’s hoping it’ll happen today.
Who will you pick?
Good luck from both of us this Gameweek.
Notice: Theme without comments.php is deprecated since version 3.0.0 with no alternative available. Please include a comments.php template in your theme. in /home/content/n3pnexwpnas02_data03/80/4101080/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3971